Friday, April 16, 2010

Entry #3: The Mission Accomplished (and The Beta Fish that Attacked me Thereafter)

I am proud to say that Phase 1 of all required documents have successfully been turned into the Wang center. Yep, that's right! Boo ya! On my way to receiving a student visa and a letter of invitation from Sichuan University -- oh I hope they want me.

Now, until I actually find myself in China -- walking their roads, eating their baozi, attempting to speak their language -- I am going to allow for a minimal amount of digression away from the "study abroad" topic -- not much , just a little. . . I swear I will strive to find some relation.

So, today, my finger found itself wandering over a beta fish's bowl. Now, for those of you who are not aware, these vibrantly colored fish go by another name: siamese fghting fish, native to Cambodia, Thailand, and certain waters in and around China.

This fish attacked me today. Literally, it jumped out of the water and "bit" my harmless little finger. I can't say it hurt, but I can say it damaged me emotionally.

What have I taken away from this experience? If for some reason my travels lead me astray and into the heart of a pool of seething beta fish, I have no shame in saying that my life will be feared for. Appearances can be deceiving -- dangerous. Never fall prey to a display of showy colors.

Why you gotta' be so mean, fishy? [a teary eye] Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment