Friday, April 16, 2010

Entry #2: A Borderline Exciting Walgreens Run (and The Uber Awesome Blue-Haired Author Afterward)

"Hello," says a young woman in probably one of the most unenthusiastic voices I've ever heard in my life. She had definitely left her bag o' happiness at home. Where did all your rainbows and sunshine go?


"Hello," I replied, "I'd like two passport size photos, please." 


I proceeded to stand in front of a white screen. Smiled "beautifully." And received my mugshots.


I really don't possess the skills to make my Walgreens trip sound any more exciting than it actually was. . . but at least now I will be able to get my Chinese visa and have a place to stay once I arrive there at the university. Now that I'm on my way to acquiring appropriate documentation, maybe China will let me be their international-student-homie for a few months.


After my super exciting adventure I had the privilege of listening to Cherie Priest (pictured), a super cool blue haired steampunk author, now best known for her work Boneshaker.


"Apparently the critics are saying I'm an overnight success," she said sardonically. "Interesting. . . this is my seventh novel."


[laughter erupts in the crowd]

No comments:

Post a Comment