Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Entry # -- The Very Beginning of it All

With these first typed words my journey to Chengdu, China -- a study abroad experience -- begins. Sichuan University seems like galaxies away, existing on a planet light years beyond our safe community here at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington, USA.

But, it turns out, the world is only so big, and with a few words punched into the realms of cyberspace, our blue planet seems to shrink a little. So I invite you -- whoever's out there -- to walk alongside me as I document my study abroad experience from start to finish, beginning to end.

The paper work. The excitement. The unsettling fears of leaving my culture. The awkward passport photo-taking sessions at Walgreens. The packing (oh gosh, my chopstick skills are horrendous, should I pack a fork? goldfish crackers? underwear, how many pairs?). The flights. The sad goodbyes. The joyous hellos. The mispronunciation of Chinese words. And of course the unforgettable bike-peddling journeys through busy cities, quaint side-streets, and breath-taking sceneries.

All will be written. So pack your bags and brush up on that Mandarin. . .

Zaijian, we're off to China!

No comments:

Post a Comment